Bored of burgers? Here is some inspiration if you fancy a change from the predictable barbecue staples of bangers and burgers. Tasty, easy to make recipes that mean that you can enjoy the great weather without having to spend ages in the kitchen doing the barbecue prep. So get the charcoal out, chill a few beers and enjoy the sunshine.
Barbecued Halloumi with Honey & Chilli Drizzle
You will need:
1 pack halloumi cheese (225g)
3 tablespoons of honey
1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- Put the honey and one tablespoon of olive oil into a small bowl and whisk vigorously until combined.
- Stir in the dried chilli flakes and a good grinding of black pepper.
- Slice the halloumi cheese into 6 thick slices, brush each with a little olive oil, then barbecue for about 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Put onto a serving plate and drizzle over the honey and chilli dressing.
Spiced Chicken with Mango Salsa
Serves 4 as part of a barbecue feast
You will need:
4 boneless and skinless chicken thighs
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons English mustard powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon salt and black pepper
For the salsa:
1 small pack of ready prepared fresh mango (90g)
1 small green chilli
Small bunch of fresh coriander
Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Start by making the salsa – chop the mango pieces into small dice, finely slice the chilli into small pieces and chop up the fresh coriander.
- Mix these together in a small bowl, then stir in the lime zest and juice to give it a bit of zing.
- Measure out the ground cumin, ground coriander, mustard powder and turmeric into a shallow dish and stir in the salt and black pepper.
- Trim any fatty bits from the chicken thighs, then press them into the spice powder so they’re fully coated.
- Place the chicken thighs onto the hot grill, and barbecue them for about 5 minutes on each side, drizzling over a little olive oil to keep them moist as they cook. Check that they’re cooked through by piercing the thighs with a knife to check that the juices are clear, but please don’t be tempted to overcook them, or they will go dry.
- Remove the chicken from the barbecue and arrange it on a serving plate, then sprinkle over the mango salsa to serve. Very nice with a crisp salad.